1.4 METEOR CHANNEL PERFORMANCE
Meteor burst communication has many advantages
- It operates in a relatively unused lower portion of the
very high frequency ( VHF ) band ranging from 30 to 100 MHz.
- It can operate on a single frequency because it does
not depend on the dynamic ionosphere for propagation. Also it is not sensitive to solar
disturbances and other galactic phenomena.
- It has an inherent degree of privacy due to the
relatively small ground illumination footprint of a meteor trail.
- The main advantages of the meteor communication is it very low cast
compared to the other communication medium, so it can be called " poor person's satellite
channel " .
- Although the minimum rang limitation for meteor
communication is 400 Km, a useful channel can be maintained at shorter ranges by combination of
efficient protocol and proper antenna pattern designs. .
- To improve the channel performance Feedback Adaptive
Variable Rate (FAVR) is used. [1,4,5,6,7]
- The main disadvantage of the meteor communication is
its non- continuity and its relatively long wait time.
Back to contents
Back to Science